Is is possible to do SEO ( Search Engine Optimization ) for a WordPress blog?
First of all there is no magical formula SEO work for any website includes blogs.
There are some good steps to follow and avoid believing common mistakes.
Always remember search engines can’t “see” a site, they can only “read” a site. That means if you do not have much content, which means text, or your website heavily photo oriented, finding your site on the web will be much harder.
What are wrong assumptions for a blog SEO?
– When you launch your website, it will not be found in search engines over night. That is only a wishful thinking.
– Adding tags to your blog will bring higher ranking in Google search.
Just because you will display tags ( tag clouds widget ) on your sidebar and add a few keywords, it does not mean you will be #1 in any search engines. The main purpose of having tags on a blog to categorize blog post entries. Basically your site visitors can click on a tag within your tag cloud which takes them to an archival page.
– Adding too many keywords ( even irrelevant keywords to your website content) to the blog will increase web traffic. That is totally wrong assumption. Google and many other search engines do not only look at keywords, they read the content of the site. If you have too many keywords that do not match your content, you might even spotted as spammer by search engines and block by them.
What are good SEO steps to follow?
- Your blog should have a meaningful title. The title should not be longer than one sentence, do not make it too long.
- Your blog should have Site description. A brief description about your site will help the search engines and your visitors understand what the site site about.
- Creating sitemap for your blog (especially if you have a lot of post entries) is always good for SEO. You may create a page or post page call it “Sitemap” and display all your post and page entries underneath of that page as links will be very valuable for your site visitors as well robots. I use for List category posts widget by Fernando Briano for my sitemap Content page.
- Use Social Media Connections.
If you have Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin or Google+ accounts display these links (Social network buttons) on your blog.Sharing Your Posts or Page entries via social media plug-ins can bring you more clicks.However if you have Twitter or Facebook account, but you do not use it much, do not expect a lot of click from it.
- Link to other websites and allow them link to your site back. Your blog search engine rankings relies on how many other site linking to your site. If you do not link with others, your newly created blog will not be too visible to search engines. You can create a link exchange page on your blog. That can display what other websites give you link back.
- Adding proper meta tags to your blog is important. Meta tags will give necessary information to Search Engines that will describe your site’s purpose, description, and keywords used within your site.
- Search engine robots, spiders will read robots.txt file. You should supply yourwebsitename.com/robots.txt file and upload to your site.
- Advertise your blog. Not every advertisement cost a lot. You can use your email signature on the bottom of your emails to promote your blog. You can also use your blog name on your printed materials, business cards, letter heads, etc. You can exchange banner or icon links with other bloggers.
- Create and use a simple navigation structure for your visitors. If you have too many page content, make sure display these as post items under correct categories. Having search button the site helps visitors to find your page content. Displaying sitemap content with all site links in a page not only helps visitor, also helps search engines.
- Keep your content original. Having bunch of copy and paste articles from other websites or blogs will not bring you more clicks. Writing your own article and using your own photos, videos and other files ( pdf, mp3, etc) always has better value. The content is the king of your site. The more your content is interesting and original, the more people will visit your site.
- Submissions to search engines. If you have 5 to 8 pages, you might be ready for your blog site submission. Keep in mind always better having at least 10 pages on the site. You can manually submit your site to Search Engines and Directory Sites by yourself. Such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, DMOZ
- Use proper keywords and key phrases for your blog site.
Adding a few keywords into your post entries as well as pages help to search engine indexing these entries. You can use key-phrases in your post title and title tags. If the your keywords and keyphrases related to your content ( which they should be ) then you should repeat them in the article (in your post content) to be more effective for SEO purpose.
You may also read this page to get more information on WordPress blog Search Engine Optimization